The Trial Chamber of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Court of Cambodia (ECCC) will commence the hearing on substance in Case 002/02 against Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan on 17 October 2014 at 09:00 in the Main Courtroom of the ECCC. The Co-Prosecutors will be afforded an opportunity to make a brief opening statement and the Accused and/or their lawyers may respond briefly, before the first witness will be called to testify on Monday 20 October. The first sequence to be heard during trial will be the charges related to the Tram Kok Cooperatives, including the treatment of Buddhists, and the related Kraing Ta Chan Security Centre.
The hearing will be open to the public and the media, and seats in the public gallery will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. The public entrance to the ECCC will be open from 07:00 on each hearing day. Media representatives attending the hearing should bring their valid ECCC accreditation cards. Media representatives who have not yet been accredited, or whose accreditation cards have expired, must seek accreditation prior to attending any hearing day. For accreditation, please submit a completed and signed media accreditation form which can be downloaded from the ECCC website (http://www.eccc.gov.kh/sites/default/files/ECCC_Accreditation_Media_Application_Form-2014.doc), together with a .jpg photo and copy of your passport to email@example.com
According to the schedule of the Trial Chamber, the commencement and duration of the initial segment of the evidentiary proceedings in Case 002/02 is from Friday 17 October 2014 until Thursday 18 December 2014. Unless otherwise specified, the Chamber will sit three days each week , beginning each day at 09:00 and ending at 16:00 with a lunch break from 12:00 to 13:30 and a morning and afternoon break as determined by the President.
A live audio and video stream of the hearings will be available on the ECCC website: www.eccc.gov.kh/en/live-stream
Case 002/02 is the second trial against Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea. The following alleged crime sites and factual allegations will form the basis for Case 002/02:
- Genocide against the Cham and the Vietnamese (excluding crimes committed by the Revolutionary Army of Kampuchea on Vietnamese territory);
- Forced marriages and rape (nationwide);
- Internal purges;
- S-21 Security Centre; Kraing Ta Chan Security Centre, Au Kanseng Security Centre and Phnom Kraol Security Centre;
- 1st January Dam Worksite; Kampong Chhnang Airport Construction site, Trapeang Thma Dam Worksite;
- Tram Kok Cooperatives;
- Treatment of Buddhists (limited to Tram Kok Cooperatives); and
- Targeting of former Khmer Republic Officials (implementation limited to Tram Kok Cooperatives, 1st January Dam Worksite, S-21 Security Centre and Kraing Ta Chan Security Centre)