On 17 September 2021, the Pre-Trial Chamber of the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia will issue its Decision on the Appeals against the Co-Investigating Judges’ Closing Orders in Case 004.
On 28 June 2019, the International Co-Investigating Judge issued his Closing Order (“Indictment”) sending YIM Tith for trial while, on the same day, the National Co-Investigating Judge issued his Order Dismissing the Case against YIM Tith (“Dismissal”).
The Pre-Trial Chamber was seised of five Appeals against these two conflicting Closing Orders:
(1) National Co-Prosecutor’s Appeal of the Indictment (13 September 2019);
(2) YIM Tith’s Appeal of the Issuance of the Two Closing Orders (2 December 2019);
(3) YIM Tith’s Appeal of the Indictment (4 December 2019);
(4) International Co-Prosecutor’s Appeal of the Dismissal (5 December 2019);
(5) Civil Party Co-Lawyers’ Appeal of the Dismissal (6 December 2019).
On 18 March 2021, pursuant to Internal Rule 77(3)(b), the Pre-Trial Chamber decided to determine the Appeals against the Closing Orders in Case 004 on the basis of written submissions only and to proceed without an oral hearing.
The Pre-Trial Chamber’s decision will be available at: www.eccc.gov.kh/